December 31, 2014

Highlights from 2014

Last year, around this time, Google+ blessed their users with a video consisting of the highlights of our year. I very much liked mine, which you can see in THIS post. However, it seems we are not as lucky this year... or perhaps the dear Google+ elves have been too busy. Who knows?

Luckily, Facebook introduced their new Year-in-review feature, which received very mixed responses. Usually, I'm all up for these kinds of nostalgic moments around New Year when we look back at the year that is about to end. But this year, I could have done better without it. There were simply pictures that I would have liked to avoid seeing again as the memories associated with all of them but 2-3 made me cringe or dislike people around me seriously reconsider the people I surround myself with.

So with the failed Year-in-review and the missing movie from Google+, I have decided to make
my own year in review
consisting of actual highlights to reminds myself that 2014 wasn't entirely bad!
Let's take a look, shall we?

2014 was the year that I got into cosplaying.. or at least started to. I only have two costumes by now but hey.. it's something! And it all started with the Misty costume I made for the big ball at my school (further explanations and pictures HERE) in March.
Although I spent a long time working on it, I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined the insane amount of positive feedback that I got. All the second graders were dressed up but twice, random people came up to me and asked for a picture. I have never heard that happen before o.O 
In September, on our trip to Spain (which I'm not going to talk about here. That was not a highlight), my classmate Kristian told me that some of his friends had asked him if he knew 'that Misty from the ball' because they liked her/my costume. #MuchProud

May brought me great happiness as well!
In the beginning of the month, I went to my very first k-pop concert! The group performing was B.A.P (my favorite!!) and they performed in Düsseldorf, Germany.
It was not only my first k-pop concert but also the first time I ever met up with other fans. I got on the train in the middle of the night and spent the next 60 hours with two girls, the mother to one of them, and a friend of hers. All of whom I had never met in real life before. The trip there itself was absolutely amazing but the girls made it so much better. I don't think I have ever felt so loved by people I had only just met... and the concert.. WOAH! There are too many things for me to talk about so if you want to read about it and see more pictures, go HERE. This was definitely one of my top 3 memories from 2014!

The same month, both my cousin, Cecilie, and my younger siblings had their 'Konfirmation' (more about that HERE), which is a really big thing for Scandinavians!
At that party, we finally re-met our cousins and parts of our family that we hadn't seen for years. There were some cousins that my siblings had never even met :OO
They grow up so fast *wipes fictional tear*

Due to my year of exchange, I'm a year behind... but that didn't stop the rest of my class from getting their "caps" and graduating in June.
On the day of graduation, I went downtown with my grandma to watch the seniors celebrate.

Since I was getting into cosplay and finally had a proper costume, a photoshoot seemed fitting and when I was offered one, heck no I'd turn it down! It was my first time shooting in a costume and with an actual theme so I was quite nervous. There are a lot of things I could have done better but the photographer was very skilled and I was okay satisfied with the pictures.


The photographer was nice and it was his first time doing a cosplay shoot as well. When we parted, he said that I should feel free to come back and have shoot in my future costumes so I'm definitely going to keep that in mind.
I went on a few more (alternative) photoshoots this year to build up my portfolio and was even contacted by a British agency but had to turn them down due to my busy schedule with school. Oh well, there's always next year.. At least I got to get a little experience and made some contacts here and there.

Only ten days after the cosplay shoot, Maria and I were off the France! Prior to our trip, we had grown a bit closer but our bonds were eternally strengthened that week. We made SO so many good memories, which I scribbled down in these picture obese posts: DAY 1DAY 2DAY 3DAY 4DAY 5DAY 6DAY 7.
We had an absolutely amazing week together in Paris and both realized our wish of visiting Disneyland.Because of this year's success, we decided to make it an annual thing and we are already saving up for our 2015 summer trip! That was the first time for both of us to go abroad without parents involved. Definitely also one of my top 3 memories from 2014.

In the last month of summer, I went to the 2nd largest anime convention in Denmark - Genki. 
Supposedly, I was going with a friend I made at my first ever convention back in 2012 but she had to bail out in the last minute because she had moved out and now wasn't able to afford the ticket anymore. I talked to a good friend of mine and in the end he convinced me to go alone (read about that HERE).

At first, I was alone and awkward since I was basically walking around by myself but when we lined up for the opening show, I fell into conversation with 3 girls whom I ended up spending the rest of the weekend with. It was also at that con I met the Danish blogger/osu player Chrille whom I had been following for some time.
Although I look extremely evil (and the sun is making my head look extra narrow), I was super happy that he took this picture!

Because of the friends I made at Genki, a smaller con named KoyoCon was suddenly brought to my attention and I attended that one as well; this time as a gopher and, once again, alone but this time with much more confidence.
I haven't found the pictures taken of me yet except for this awkward one taken in bad light and with an iPhone by my friend, Mephistooo~

So yes, I met many new people and made many great new friends this year! 
One of them was Ashley from Singapore. By the end of fall / early winter, he had a trip to Iceland planned out and stopped by Denmark for 4 days to hang out with me and my family and see our country. We had so much fun together and I really enjoyed being a "guide" for him. You can read about our adventures together and see more pictures HERE.

Ashley was really into photography and ended up making a movie from his trip. You can find it on Youtube HERE.

In December, Maria, I, and a new friend I had made from piano lessons, Jasmin, went to a concert with a Japanese rock band called One OK Rock, which I had been introduced to back in August. After the B.A.P concert I was feeling adventurous and decided to go even before I knew that Maria and Jasmin would join.
The band was just as great as I had expected (and my expectations were high!!) and they performed so well and looked so happy all the time.
We had an absolutely amazing time (I should probably blog about this next year once I get the pictures) and, although I was pretty shocked earlier during the year when my counselor told me I could get into my dream studies next year (read HERE), the fact that the singer from the band followed me on Instagram was the most mind blowing event of the year.
Woooooaaaah!! *-* I fangirled for like... a week after because of this!

The last big happening was when the seniors, now my classmates and I, turned in our SRPs. Although I had a horrible time back when we were still working on them (a post about that HERE), it truly is a highlight for me to have gotten through it alive and it makes me so super happy to know that I will NEVER HAVE TO WRITE THAT FREAKING THING AGAIN!! WUUUUH!!!
And this marks the end of my list, thank you for reading ♡

When I started this post yesterday, I was feeling quite disappointed with my year. But as I worked my way through this it, sat down, and looked through my old pictures, I realized that 2014 hadn't been that bad at all.

With the medias constantly showing negative images from all around the world (because that's what sells) it is important to sometimes take a step back and look at things as a whole. If we don't do that, we tend to follow the medias and focus only on the negative things that happen to us and, thus, forget all the good memories we have made.

If you're feeling like I felt yesterday, do the same. Find your old pictures - the good ones! Think of all the amazing things you did this year. Think of how amazing YOU are, because you truly are! You made it through the year! Think of all the people whose paths crossed yours, even if it was just for a moment, and appreciate it.
Be happy! And if there are things that you still regret, remember life isn't over. You still have time to make up for your mistakes and learn from bad experiences. This is your chance to make 2015 even better than this year so do your best!

I'll leave you with an inspirational quote. Take good care of yourselves! I hope to see you all next year~

~Lucy 

No comments:

Post a Comment