January 29, 2016

New Year Resolutions 2016

Oh helloOoo~!
I know we're already in the 5th week of the year but I haven't had time to sit down and think this through before now.
In today's post I will follow suit from the past three years and once again make a post about my goals for the new year. But first, let's see if I/last year lived up to my expectations:


My goals for 2015 were to...
.............................
................................. 1.  Finish 2-3 cosplay costumes
................................. 2.  Attend at least 3 cosplay conventions and a cosplay photoshoot
................................. 3.  Get an A in one of my exams
................................. 4.  Do my best in school! 
................................. 5.  Learn basics of the Korean language
................................. 6.  Travel to 2-3 foreign countries
................................. 7.  Get a job
................................. 8.  Learn how to cook
................................. 9.  See a moose in real life
............................... 10.  Be better at saying no and overall take better care of myself 

The only points that I can clearly say that I managed to live up to are #2, #6 and #7.
In 2015 I attended J-Popcon, SVS con, and GEEKcore. During SVS I was supposed to have a joined a Tokyo Ghoul photoshoot but didn't get to do this because of my malfunctioning cosplay. I did end up having a spontaneous solo shoot during GEEKcore though so it's all good.

Although I 'only' got to go to Sweden and Korea, those were two trips that I wouldn't be without if it meant that I could have gone to more places. Visiting Philip and his family (and dog, Millie!) in Sweden is a pleasure every time and going to Korea, specifically Seoul, has been a dream of mine since I was 16.

Additionally, I finally succeeded in landing myself not one but two jobs!
The first job was as a freelancer where I, for a couple of months, worked as a transcriber on an app meant to help people learn languages. The other job was at MentorDanmark where I'm still working today. My job there is to function as a personal mentor for kids from grade 0 to young students around my own age and help them within my chosen subjects - mine are Math and English. There are several reasons why I really like this job: I get to meet a lot of people, I feel like I can actually make a change in someone's life, I can work with what I do best, and I can work just 2 hours at a time.

As for number 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10, I could have done better.
While I did make two different cosplays, I was unhappywith how they turned out due to lack of time, money, and skills. My Eto (Tokyo Ghoul) fell apart as I was wearing it and my Elsa (Frozen) was enough for people to recognize me but it was so far from what I had expected it to be like. Elsa is definitely not done and I'd like to reconstruct (if not remake) Eto completely. We'll see when that'll be.

I think I did my best in school but it's really hard to say. What is the best one can do anyways? Was I supposed to study for the remaining time of the day after school had finished? I didn't do that. But I turned in all of my assignments on time and was overall happy with the feedback. Let's save the outcome of my exams for another day (^_^;

About learning Korean basics... When I wrote down these resolutions, I had never imagined that I'd actually end up being a full time Korea student. I'd say I have 50% of my basics down - I can hold a conversation and understand quite a bit. Buuuuuuuut the language part of my education is split in two and I have only finished the first half so far. My teacher says that by the time we finish the second part, we should know all the basics.

I have definitely gotten better at saying no and telling people off when I don't want to deal with them but this is still something I could improve on.

The remaining 3 - number 3, 8, and 9 - were the only ones that I didn't fulfill.
#3 because I suck at exams. I got so nervous during the oral ones and apparently we had some really harsh censors for the written exams and basically everyone dropped at least one grade. I heard that the people taking the highest level of math exam left the room because the problems were too hard and that there was nothing left that they could do.

At this point I'm not exactly sure where the line goes for being able or unable to cook. Also, I don't know if this should be categorized with the unsatisfactory-but-fulfilled-resolutions above. I mean I can cook potatoes without setting myself or my surroundings on fire but I'd have to look up the recipe and Google a bunch of cooking terms if someone asked me to make roast pork.

#9 was clearly my favorite mission for 2015. And no, I didn't mean to see a moose in zoo like some people proposed I could do (Do they even have those in zoos?). I wanted to see a live moose but wasn't able to go to Sweden during summer and there were none to find when I was there during winter.


Looking back I think I did sort of good when it came to living up to the expectations I'd made. I definitely could have done better at some of them but at least I tried and half succeeded at most of them.
As I wrote in my post for last year, I wanted 2015 to be a year in which I would become more independent and creative. This year you could say that I want to own less while being worth more.
That sounds a bit... weird, doesn't it? Here, let me elaborate on that.

Especially the second half of last year and even now, just a few weeks into the new year, family has been something that has taken up a lot of space in my daily affairs. My closest family has been struck with diseases (my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and while I was in Korea, I was informed that the doctor had found a blood clot in my dad's leg) and I moved to the other end of the country, thus making it harder to see my family as often. Last year I truly learned the importance of appreciating something or someone while you have them and I want 2016 to be a year in which I do just that. I want 2016 to be a year in which I become a person that people will look up to and be proud of. And I want 2016 to be a year in which I'll find more peace with myself no matter how cliche the sounds. So... let's have a look at my resolutions:

In 2016 I want to:
.............................
................................. 1.  Travel to 2-3 countries (as always)
................................. 2.  Own less materialistic items (when moving I realized how much stuff I have that I don't use)
................................. 3.  Go to the doctor, dentist, optician etc. and have everything checked (there's no harm in making sure that you're okay)
................................. 4.  Take measures to be more content with my looks (fixing teeth, doing better make-up, save my hair, adjust weight etc.)
................................. 5.  Strengthen ties with and see my family more often
................................. 6.  Find a new hobby (dancing, singing, playing an instrument, or taekwondo)
................................. 7.  Do something I fear (because facing your fears is something that can really help you grow as a person)
................................. 8.  Become a donor (this thought has been stuck with me ever since I watched Angel Beats)
................................. 9.  Attend 3 cons
............................... 10.  Be a part of the cosplay show



How about you?
What would you like to accomplish this year?

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Lucy!
    I am your biggest fan.
    I've been sleeping outside your door for the past 3 days in hope of you walking out and giving me a big bowl of ramen.
    Please notice me <3
    ~Your biggest fan, Chrille

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only 18 years old.
    I loved Lucy so much, I had read all the blog posts and make-up tutorials.
    I pray to Lucy every night before bed, thanking her for the life I\ve been given.
    "Lucy is love" I say, "Lucy is life".
    My classmates calls me a faggot.
    I know they are just jealous of my devotion for Lucy.
    I called them cunts.
    They beat me up and kicks me home.
    I am crying now, my face hurts.
    I lay in bed and it's really cold.
    Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me.
    It's Lucy.
    I am so happy.
    She wispers into my ear "J.Y.P".
    She grabs me with her powerful hands and puts me down on my back.
    I am ready.
    I listen carefully.
    She starts to sing Death by Glamour.
    It cringes throughout my whole body, but I'll do it for Lucy.
    I can feel my heart aching from all the cringe.
    I try to resist, but I want to please Lucy.
    She roars a mighty "OoooOOOOHoooohhhh Yeeees"
    My phones starts to ring.
    Lucy looks me right in the eyes and says "SHINee's back (back, back, back)"
    She leaves through my window.
    Lucy is love, Lucy is life"

    ReplyDelete
  3. well let's see what i want to try and do this year:
    -finish making a board game
    -audition for more shows
    -continue writing MagicA (if anyone can animate please help :))
    -make more vlogs
    -go on more adventures
    yeah thanks lucy <3 let'shave a great year!!!!

    ReplyDelete